Sustainability at Perlen Packaging
For Perlen Packaging and our holding CPH Chemie + Papier Holding AG, sustainability and the responsible use of natural resources have always been top priorities. For 200 years we have been working continuously to improve our environmental footprint by using resources efficiently, minimising our waste and recycle it. To protect the environment, the CPH Group works continuously to reduce CO2 emissions.
As a manufacturer, we closely follow the recycling requirements for our materials. Therefore, we are working on future alternatives for blister lidding films in order to take another step towards a circular economy with single-material packaging.
As part of our company's sustainability agenda, we initiated a new comparative Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) with other common plastics. This was conducted by a third party and we are very encouraged by the outcome: Excellent environmental impact results were identified for both the production of Perlen Packaging's PVC pharmaceutical films and our PVdC coated barrier films.
The LCA information will be useful in helping our customers with relevant data to make fact-based decisions, evaluate material choices and jointly decide on feasible development projects.
- The smart solution from the neighbourhood for Perlen Packaging Switzerland
- The entire steam consumption for drying the coated films was supplied by the nearby Perlen cantonal waste incineration plant
- Switzerland's first steam-heat coupling for this kind of application
- Financial participation by the CPH Group
- Environmentally friendly energy
- Independence from fossil fuels
- State-of-the-art, proprietary industrial water and wastewater treatment plants in Suzhou and Perlen
- Continuous reduction of water consumption
Member of VinylPlus
- VinylPlus is a voluntary programme in Europe to proactively address PVC sustainability
- Perlen Packaging is actively involved in the VinylPlus programme, which promotes PVC recycling
A joint project of VinylPlus, PVC film producers and recyclers for the sustainable development of PVC pharma blister packaging
Post Industrial Recycling
Post industrial recycling
- Post-industrial waste at our customers is recycled and used in the construction industry
- Other alternatives are currently being investigated
Recycling of winding cores
- Our post-industrial PVC waste is reused for our own winding cores
- Recycling management at the Müllheim site